Long gone are the days of AOL Instant Messenger. Can you believe AOL was launched in 1997? I remember having to use dial-up to access the internet and also waiting for my sister to get off the landline telephone so that I could even use the dial-up, which was crazy in itself. This all seem like ancient history when you think about but honestly, it hasn’t been that long. Quickly, the world-wide web has taken over (for the 99-2000’s–in Juvenile’s voice) and not having the internet these days is almost dreadful. What use to be a very optional thing is now basically a necessity.
Social Media was that added bonus that came along with the internet and it continues to be the most popular thing out here but why am I still hearing questions about people not understanding Twitter?
I come to make your life a little easier and I come to get you all caught up to 2018! Here’s how you can make the most out of Twitter:
- Follow Celebrities, Companies, Politian’s, and anyone that seems interesting to you! (a) As with any social media platform, the more people you follow, essentially the more whom will follow you back. It’s also important to know that when you follow a person on Twitter that doesn’t mean they’re following you. It is not like Facebook, therefore, interaction is key in order to obtain followers. (b) A good thing about Twitter is that you will find that more celebrities are active on this particular social media platform. If you’re looking for that celebrity connection Twitter is your best bet. (c) Also, following companies is a big plus. Many of them host giveaways on Twitter and I’ve been lucky to win a number of times. Another great tip is that most companies also have a customer service Twitter page and if you ever bring a complaint their way on Twitter you can almost certainly expect them to answer you back. They are all about their reputation. Use Twitter to your benefit. Below are a few things I’ve won off Twitter!
- Use Hashtags. It’s an easy way of seeing who’s talking about a topic. Hashtags are very important when it comes to Twitter. This is where they were originated from. #Twitter #GetOutThere
- Join the conversation. Get involved and comment. Join the discussion and share your opinions. You never know who will see it. You never know who will agree with you or disagree with you. Welcome the conversation and take advantage of the reply button. Again, this is how you gain followers.
- Use it as a way to keep up with current events. If it’s trending on Twitter then it’s important for the moment. If you want to know something, Twitter is a go-to place to find out. It’s almost the next best thing to Google. If it’s not trending on Twitter then it’s probably not happening because no one is talking about it. **In your Twitter app, if you click on the search button, you will see all the trending topics for the day and they change throughout the day as well.**
- Don’t be afraid of the retweet button. The retweet button is my best-friend. If I see a Tweet that I really like or that speaks volumes, I’ll retweet it. A retweet is basically a “repost” or “share” of another persons tweet. Once you retweet a tweet you are sharing that tweet with your timeline; so now your followers will be able to see it. **If your account is set to “Private” your tweets are not retweetable. Also, if you’re looking to gain more followers, do not set your account to “Private.”**
To sum it up, if you’re looking for a place to pretty much run off at the mouth without a bunch of feedback–Twitter is the place. If you’re looking for a place to speak a lot of nonsense –Twitter is the place. If you’re looking for a place to be bold and to take a stand and to get behind a movement–Twitter is the place. If you’re looking for a place to say things you wouldn’t necessarily post to Facebook….Twitter is the place! Twitter is where it’s at!
Come join the party and follow me at @MizToyah